Unit 2C: used to / to be used to / to get used to

Let's practise some verb forms (present and past tenses)

Before looking at the grammar stuff, listen to the following video which is about a person addicted to shopping




I'm including now some exercises to revise the usage of the verb forms containing the word used, which can be sometimes confusing.
I have also graded them for you from the easiest to the least one.

Exercise 1 (easy)

Exercise 2 (medium)

Exercise 3 (medium)

Exercise 4 (difficult) Before doing this exercise, read the following explanation

GRAMMAR NOTES: To understand better how to use used to and would, I'm including the following notes
1.When we talk about past habits that are actions, we can use both, used to or would.
Example:

When we were children, we used to/would play Cowboys and Indians together.

2.When we talk about past states, we can use used to, but NOT would. Would is used only for regularly repeated actions. Used to is used to express a situation existed in the past.
Examples:
My grandfather used to be a policeman. (
NOT: My grandfather would be)
My husband used to have a moustache, but he shaved it off. (NOT: My husband would have)
I used to live in California. I used to have a Volkswagen.
(would cannot be used in these sentences.)




In the following audio you will listen to an English teacher explaining how to use and form the previous verb forms.(with examples and exercises)




Here are the answers of the exercises with used to that I gave out in class and you have been looking for so desperately.

Exercise 1: (option a) You will have to retake the test to get the answers, click on answers
Exercise 1 (option b): If you prefer to have the answers in a quicker way, try the following link
answers

Exercise 2: answers (look down in the webpage)

_

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario